Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paranoia? Or targeted?
Observations of strangeness....

The EMB forums always get their share of spam, but I've noticed that several pages at a time show up on the Intraweb forum there, and it happens every few days.

I only monitor a few other sections there, but the other ones I monitor seldom show more than a message or two of spam.

So, either those "clean" sections are cleaned up quite often (before I ever get there) or someone is targeting the Intraweb section.  It's happened enough lately to raise my "what's going on here" flag.

Strange.  Sometimes it's paranoia, sometimes they really are out to get you.

I haven't tried tracking the messages but I assume the spammers are smart enough to cover their tracks.

Dan
(04-09-2018, 10:53 PM)DanBarclay Wrote: So, either those "clean" sections are cleaned up quite often (before I ever get there) or someone is targeting the Intraweb section.

Both. The EMB forums are frequently monitored by several moderators (including me), so spam gets cleaned up pretty quickly. But the IntraWeb forum in particular (amongst a few others) does get a lot more spam them most of the other forums, and it takes awhile to clean it all up, because the forum software provides VERY LITTLE in the way of decent cleanup tools.
(04-09-2018, 10:53 PM)DanBarclay Wrote: Observations of strangeness....

The EMB forums always get their share of spam, but I've noticed that several pages at a time show up on the Intraweb forum there, and it happens every few days.

I only monitor a few other sections there, but the other ones I monitor seldom show more than a message or two of spam.

So, either those "clean" sections are cleaned up quite often (before I ever get there) or someone is targeting the Intraweb section.  It's happened enough lately to raise my "what's going on here" flag.

Strange.  Sometimes it's paranoia, sometimes they really are out to get you.

I haven't tried tracking the messages but I assume the spammers are smart enough to cover their tracks.

Dan

Embarcader-forums down as of today ?
Can't reach any https://forums.embarcadero.com/
Yes, EMBT forums are down. Again.
Check here for details:

https://www.atozed.com/2018/04/embt-squi...ion-again/
Smile
May the squirrel needs CASHew !?
wouldn't it clean the spams if you delete the users?
i too monitor only 2-3 other sections, and noticed that too.
I dont know. TeamB has told me the software is very old, unsupported and not well designed to handle spam. They said they have to delete them one by one using a slow web interface....
(04-13-2018, 03:58 PM)EitanArbel Wrote: wouldn't it clean the spams if you delete the users?

On the EMBT forums, mods (like me) don't have access to delete users, only to delete their messages (individually), and to ban them.

(04-13-2018, 05:19 PM)kudzu Wrote: TeamB has told me the software is very old, unsupported and not well designed to handle spam. They said they have to delete them one by one using a slow web interface....

Yup, which is why I have been planning to write a tool to help automate the deletions (enter a user ID, ban the user, and query the user's profile to find all of that user's messages for deletion). I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Could a spam filter be installed? The spam that is being posted is really obvious spam and even the dumbest of spam detectors should catch it.

ie any thing detected as clear spam rejected and user flagged for review. Possible spam delayed and waits for approval.