Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Single Server Load Balancing
Howdy All!

I know this question has been asked before but I figured I would ask again in 2021 and describe my customer’s setup a little more specific.

All of my customers run their own in-house server from ~2015 or earlier (i.e. I am NOT going to be able to suggest a server farm).

My IW application runs under IIS and depending on the load, can work for weeks or just days - I have no idea if it is a low memory leak or what.

What I want to do is run a web server that would allow me to run multiple copies of my IW app on a single physical server but allow the work load to be spread.

THe suggested solution in the past has been Octagate which is no longer to be found.

Does anyone have a cheap solution (i.e. doesn’t have to be free but can’t cost a small fortune) for this scenario?

All the best,

Shane
(01-11-2022, 05:55 PM)ShaneStump Wrote: Howdy All!

I know this question has been asked before but I figured I would ask again in 2021 and describe my customer’s setup a little more specific.

All of my customers run their own in-house server from ~2015 or earlier (i.e. I am NOT going to be able to suggest a server farm).

My IW application runs under IIS and depending on the load, can work for weeks or just days - I have no idea if it is a low memory leak or what.

What I want to do is run a web server that would allow me to run multiple copies of my IW app on a single physical server but allow the work load to be spread.

THe suggested solution in the past has been Octagate which is no longer to be found.

Does anyone have a cheap solution (i.e. doesn’t have to be free but can’t cost a small fortune) for this scenario?

All the best,

Shane

Anything that will do a simple round robin would work if you put your IIS program on a separate URL on the same machine.

Also,  Is your program setup for 32bit?  If so once you hit the 3.5 memory limit my programs start having issues.
(01-11-2022, 07:04 PM)joelcc Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 05:55 PM)ShaneStump Wrote: Howdy All!

What I want to do is run a web server that would allow me to run multiple copies of my IW app on a single physical server but allow the work load to be spr

All the best,

Shane

Anything that will do a simple round robin would work if you put your IIS program on a separate URL on the same machine.

Also,  Is your program setup for 32bit?  If so once you hit the 3.5 memory limit my programs start having issues.

I had hoped to move to 64 bit a few years ago but the company that bought my software decided to quit updating my tools at 10.2.3 and the C++ WIN64 compiler didn't become usable until 10.4.3/11.1. So the project will be stuck in 32 bit world for its life cycle.

Thanks,

Shane
If you want a bit more than round robin, you could even write a simple IW app which takes a user, checks load of the app instances then does a redirect based on IP to the instance with the lowest load. Could even be on same machine as your issue is RAM being 32 bit.
(01-12-2022, 06:10 PM)kudzu Wrote: If you want a bit more than round robin, you could even write a simple IW app which takes a user, checks load of the app instances then does a redirect based on IP to the instance with the lowest load. Could even be on same machine as your issue is RAM being 32 bit.

Sounds great except to be honest, I am trying to get as much out of "proven" components/services/apps etc instead of me reinventing the wheel and listening to people complain at me how "I am causing them to lose money.".

To bad y'all couldn't have gotten a bundle deal with the Octagate - would have added a lot of value to IW customers.

All the best,

Shane
This one is interesting

https://freeloadbalancer.com/

I never tested it myself - yet - but I intend to do so.