Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stand Alone service limit on Windows Server 2012r2?
Wow, you really put some effort into helping me with this. Thank you very much. That would be great if you could send me your test project and various bat files. I'm sure that would help me in my testing. I would love to try the same test you did on one of my aws servers. I need to determine if there's something I'm doing in my projects that's causing this, of if there is some sort of limit on aws. Thanks again.
I'll organize the stuff and upload it to Atozed download site. I'll send you the link shortly
(08-11-2021, 10:28 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: I'll organize the stuff and upload it to Atozed download site. I'll send you the link shortly

That would be great, thanks.
Please download from

http://downloads.atozed.com/intraweb/dem...Service.7z

there are a bunch of bat files under folder Deploy.

One of them takes the EXE generated by the Delphi compiler and creates 80 copies, each one with a sequential number suffix. The others install, uninstall and start all 80 services
I reproduced the problem with the test Intraweb service you provided. I created a test AWS EC2 windows instance. Nothing running on the machine at all. I was able to install 147 instances of your IWTestService. After 147, they fail to start. Specs on the server: Zeon 3GHz processor, 8 G memory, Windows Server 2012 r2. With the 147 services running, memory is at 29%, cpu is at 1%. 

I can provide you with an rdp file to access it and admin password. We're going to delete the server when we're done with it anyway. Here's a snipit of output from your _startservices.bat file....

C:\Temp\IWTestService\Deploy>net start IWTestService147
The IWTestService147 service is starting.
The IWTestService147 service was started successfully.

C:\Temp\IWTestService\Deploy>net start IWTestService148
The service is not responding to the control function.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

C:\Temp\IWTestService\Deploy>net start IWTestService149

C:\Temp\IWTestService\Deploy>net start IWTestService150

and on and on. Loop iteration was 1 to 200.
Also, can you provide me with specs on the computer you tried this on? I'm also working with Amazon AWS support on this issue also just in case it has something to do with the ec2 virtual machine.
It sounds like the AWS instance has some resource limits, possibly around number of open server sockets.

When the first failed instance tries to start, does it leave behind a log or err file?
Unfortunately not. The only trace I can find is in the windows event log, and it's pretty useless. Error happened in KERNELBASE.dll. It provides an Exception code: 0x0eedfade, but I don't know what that means. Here's a further update on my problem though, I think it's not Intraweb related. I did a very similar test to what Alexandre did with a basic empty Delphi windows service. Same result. My next test will be with a .net service, then a physical windows server box rather than the aws instance. I'll just keep narrowing it down. Thanks very much for your reply.
(09-03-2021, 07:53 PM)robAgencySoftware Wrote: Unfortunately not. The only trace I can find is in the windows event log, and it's pretty useless. Error happened in KERNELBASE.dll. It provides an Exception code: 0x0eedfade, but I don't know what that means. Here's a further update on my problem though, I think it's not Intraweb related. I did a very similar test to what Alexandre did with a basic empty Delphi windows service. Same result. My next test will be with a .net service, then a physical windows server box rather than the aws instance. I'll just keep narrowing it down. Thanks very much for your reply.

I assume your basic empty windows service didn't do anything, even no IP.    I'm also assuming it was successful with the same count as the IW service?

It almost sounds like aws has some kind of limit.   Following here myself just to understand.  I don't recall a limit being documented but I'm a pretty lightweight user on aws.

Thanks,
Dan
That's correct. I've got a conference call with AWS support this Thursday which I'm hopeful will yield some results. Whatever the cause, performance of the stand alone web server on the AWS environment isn't that good. I'm still trying to figure out how many different clients (IW Services) I can support on each AWS instance. Then there's the system resource factor. You can purchase a wide variety of performance options, but this "limit" I've encountered puts the kibosh on getting the most out of the ec2 instance. I'm intending this particular web product to grow far past the couple hundred clients I currently have on it. The idea is that it's going to replace an older desktop product of which there are still a couple thousand more clients that could potentially migrate over to this web product. In theory that is. Assuming I can figure out this problem.