Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
layout best practice
Hi,
im trying to build the first layout of my application.
I need a simple layout with menu in the left side and in the right side two grids one upper and one under the end of the first.
|m|  |---|
|   |  | 1 |
|   |  |---|
|   |  | 2 |

In the first grid i have some rows (master) and after the detail.
My need is to have the master that use the space to show all the rows and in sequence the second whit the details

The best practice is using IWRegion or directly the grid?
The region need the align at client?
Im trying to use CSS to position the grid is this correct or i have to establish the layout in the form?

Thanks for all suggestion
I am still doing things the same way I did 8 years ago, I use a Frame and IW Regions aligned to top and/or left to give my forms a common side menu or header etc... I find using regions and turning clipping off is nice way to organize things. This is a topic that I would like to get more information on how to improve the look/layout of a form as once its more than a basic form I too get lost and then I have users that tell me the form needs to look like current web apps they use , like Quicken Online etc.... I have on occasion used a template to create a nice login screen, but thats about it.

Looking forward to what IW17 will offer as improved opportunities for nicer looking layouts.
Yes. 17's layouts are super charged. Smile
(12-14-2018, 11:13 AM)Mirco Wrote: Hi,
im trying to build the first layout of my application.
I need a simple layout with menu in the left side and in the right side two grids one upper and one under the end of the first.
|m|  |---|
|   |  | 1 |
|   |  |---|
|   |  | 2 |

In the first grid i have some rows (master) and after the detail.
My need is to have the master that use the space to show all the rows and in sequence the second whit the details

The best practice is using IWRegion or directly the grid?
The region need the align at client?
Im trying to use CSS to position the grid is this correct or i have to establish the layout in the form?

Thanks for all suggestion

- IWRegion is a better option, IMO.
- Align alClient might not be the best solution. If you just put it where you want and remove all anchors it will resize accordingly to the form, keeping the same distance from the borders. This is usually the best solution.
- CSS might work, if it works :-)
I mean, CSS is great but it is not capable of doing anything you have in mind. If it works, good. Otherwise, use IW properties or JavaScript.