Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reinstall Delphi 10.2.2 & IntraWeb ...
Hallo,

we have Delphi XE8 + (IW, TMS) and Delphi 10.1 + (IW, TMS, cgDEVTools) installed on a machine.
Now we want to parallel install Delphi 10.2.2 + (IW, TMS, cgDEVTools).

Questions:
  • Is it ok to just uninstall Delphi 10.1?
  • Do we need an extra IntraWeb removal tool before uninstalling Delphi 10.1?
  • Do you expect problems with TMS and cgDEVTools components?

Best regards
I would highly suggest to go to virtual machines for such a scenario. VMWare Workstation is cheap and works well. Trying to mix and match different delphi versions and component tools on the same machine is a recipe for disaster. Their uninstallers are not perfect and leave old version Dlls, bpls lying around. The paths get accidentally screwed up. You have to be VERY careful if you want to do that.
VMs are great as davenovo has suggested.

As to your questions.

1) Yes. But I thought you wanted them in parallel? So long as both use the same IW version, there is no issue. Complications exist only when you want to have a different IW version in each IDE.

2) No.

3) No.
(03-21-2018, 02:47 PM)jorgo2018 Wrote: Hallo,

we have Delphi XE8 + (IW, TMS) and Delphi 10.1 + (IW, TMS, cgDEVTools) installed on a machine.
Now we want to parallel install Delphi 10.2.2 + (IW, TMS, cgDEVTools).

Questions:
  • Is it ok to just uninstall Delphi 10.1?
  • Do we need an extra IntraWeb removal tool before uninstalling Delphi 10.1?
  • Do you expect problems with TMS and cgDEVTools components?

Best regards

I have Delphi 7, 2007, 2009, 2010, XE, XE2, XE3, XE4, XE5, XE6, XE7, XE8, 10, 10.1 and 10.2.3 installed in one single machine! Yes, 15 versions. They all have IntraWeb installed. ZERO issues.

About IW Removal Tool: yes, you need to run it each time you install or update a new version of Delphi (you just need to clean up that specific version, of course).
Ok, we want

D-XE8         &         IW14.0.45
D-10.1        &         IW14.0.63  &  CGDEV 2.9.0.284
D-10.2.2     &         IW14.2.7    &  CGDEV 4.0.1.150

Could I open all 3 compilers and work parallel on different IntraWeb projects?
That would be great !

Best regards     Cool

PS - (as alternative)

If I understand you correctly, then it's enough to uninstall Delphi 10.1 and
we are rid off all components (IW14.0.63 and CGDEV 2.9.0.284) too.
That would be easy.

Yes it is absolutely possible. However you will have to be very careful and deliberate with each install and upgrades as well.

A VM would make it a lot easier, but VMs are not necessary to accomplish what you ask.

You need to uninstall the bundled version from each and then during install of IW, select only the single IDE that you want to install it into.

The only complication I can think of is the license key registry entry which the IDE uses. You might need to leave at least the IDE portion in eval mode but I will double check this.

Normally they all use the same key, but you have some older 14 versions there and I'd have to check when they key types changed. At worst, you can use the older ones in eval for the IDE, but have a key during build.
Thx kudzu,

the compilers are runing on a VM.

My colleague suggested to uninstall older not used compilers.   Undecided

Best regards
I meant to put EACH one in its own VM. That drastically simplifies things. This by far is the best approach for your situation.

If they are all in one VM now, you can make copies and then uninstall the ones you don't need in that particular VM.