Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tabbed like browsing with Intraweb ?
Hi All,

I'm wondering how I can make something like tabbed browsing available for my intraweb users, and hope that some of you, who obviously know intraweb a lot more, and deeply than I, could give me some ideas of how to archive that. Note that my application is installed as a service on a server.

Would it be possible to start the same application multiple times, either in a new tab for each, or as a new browser for each ?

I have tried activating the same service on more that one tab, and technically it appears to work (no errors), but I have noticed that with more tabs, I mostly have to click more that once a a clickable component, before it activates. It is like the first time I click it, after switching tab, it's only refreshing the screen. a second click usually activates the function.

Regards
Soren
I have read the entry about "TIWEdit and SubmitOnAsyncEvent" and found it interesting. In an entry from 17.08.2019, brsoft is writing (under the heading COMMENTS):

ServerController "Users can start multiple independent sessions in browser tabs" = TRUE

It sound to me like it could be an answer to my question "Tabbed like browsing with Intraweb".

I have checked the ServerController unit and all the properties it has, and I've been checking the DOCS section to find more about this, but so far unsuccessfully.

However I have found, under ServerController.SessionOptions a descrption of the UniqueUrl as being the replacement of the above setting.

Would that be the answer then ?

Will UniqueUrl set to true mean that the users could start the application in new tabs in the same browser, without the sessions intefering with each other ? And if so, are there any other things to consider or properties to set, to make everything work correctly ?

I'll give it a try and see what happens, but if any of you have any comments or advice, please feel free to give them.
Hi,

I'm not 100% sure about your question, but please check this demo:

https://github.com/Atozed/IntraWeb/tree/...nsNoCookie

This *very* particular demo shows how you can open multiple tabs for the same user (when the user wants open several tabs at the same time, each one pointing to a different form of your application and all forms must just "work"). This is a very particular scenario that a IW user had and we showed how it could be handled.

I'll summarize the new server controller options in another post
Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your reply. The word "works", when talking about computer programs, is used in danish language about something that is functioning as expected, is doing what it is supposed to and in general is just fine and okay.

In this context I meant to ask if there would be any problems among each of the applications, when activating the same function in more than one tab of the same browser. And if there, despite the appearance of seeming to functioning okay, is any internal issues where the Usersession for each active application, could be compromised or corrupted, when two or more usersessions is handled by one browser.

Thanks for the link and pointer. I will go through the demo and see what I can get from it.

Regards
Soren
(08-23-2019, 11:35 AM)SorenJensen Wrote: Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your reply. The word "works", when talking about computer programs, is used in danish language about something that is functioning as expected, is doing what it is supposed to and in general is just fine and okay.

In this context I meant to ask if there would be any problems among each of the applications, when activating the same function in more than one tab of the same browser. And if there, despite the appearance of seeming to functioning okay, is any internal issues where the Usersession for each active application, could be compromised or corrupted, when two or more usersessions is handled by one browser.

Thanks for the link and pointer. I will go through the demo and see what I can get from it.

Regards
Soren

You can run in 2 separate tabs of the same browser without any issues.
(08-23-2019, 11:35 AM)SorenJensen Wrote: Hi Alexandre,

Regards
Soren

Hi Soren,

In that demo I mentioned, it works perfectly so there are no hidden issues. Each session will behave as an independent session and one will not corrupt or interfere with the other.

The quotes in works ("works") from my previous response is because sometimes the solution works and behaves as designed, but not according to your requirements. Sometimes the user requirements are different and even when the application works correctly, it doesn't behave as the end user expects or requires.

Having said that, in that demo, the catch is that the end user "thinks" that they are working with the same session in 2 different tabs, but happens that they are not. There are actually 2 different sessions (or more if they open more tabs) linked to the same user.

In that specific case, the developer might have to implement some data sharing mechanism, if there is some internal data which must be shared among different sessions.
Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for the reply.

My requirements for sharing data between sessions are mostly non-existent. In the rare cases where cut-n-paste is not enough, I always use a database table as "middle man". But I can see your point and will check it out further, as it becomes needed.

My concern was interference between sessions and especially active database connections, and as you (and joelcc) point out, there is no such issues.

That's good to know, thank you !

Regards
Soren