Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intraweb as windows service
(03-22-2018, 05:39 PM)davenovo Wrote: The only thing I can rely on is that usually (but not even always) port 80 is open in their network and that is the only thing I can use without a hassle.

Port 80 for inbound is more likely to be closed rather than open. Ports below 1024 are reserved and often require admin privileges to even use them as a server based on many domain policies.

With IntraWeb Standalone, you ship a single EXE. They run that exe /install, start the service. Done. Doesn't get simpler than that.
Hi David,

We are going to allocate some time to work on IW + Http.sys so you can expect news on this front soon.

I'll keep you informed about the progress and maybe you can do some beta testing as well :-)
Hi Daniel,

My understanding (and I may be wrong) is that when using HTTP.SYS you register to handle only a particular URL (or set or URLs). If people are probing port 80 randomly, there is no way they will know your URL, it does not even get to your application and windows will do whatever it does with port 80 probes. Just ignore them or whatever. I dont know why I would need to monitor port 80 traffic that is not directed at my application. I wont even know it exists.

That being said, in the scenario I envision, it will be used within a university and only available by computers within the university. So there may be random port scanning going on in the university, but it would be much less than if this was a public machine.

(03-22-2018, 08:45 PM)kudzu Wrote: With IntraWeb Standalone, you ship a single EXE. They run that exe /install, start the service. Done. Doesn't get simpler than tha.

Except I only get 1 app per computer, minus any shenanigans with playing with IP address etc.
"Except I only get 1 app per computer, minus any shenanigans with playing with IP address etc."

Not true. Its very easy to use different ports. Do you have a technical reason that you must use port 80? SSL doesn't use port 80 either.

Is it simply a firewall issue?
I explained about the situation about getting a university IT department to open up non-standard ports within their network. The core facility I am targeting has clients over the whole campus. On different subnets, and completely different networks on the university WAN. They simply will not do it. port 80,443 are generally open throughout the network as they are standard. Getting them to open non-standard ports is very difficult.
(03-22-2018, 08:52 PM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: Hi David,

We are going to allocate some time to work on IW + Http.sys so you can expect news on this front soon.

I'll keep you informed about the progress and maybe you can do some beta testing as well :-)

I will be pleased to do some beta testing!!!!! I am sure for you guys it is very easy to do. There seem to be about 10 windows API methods involved. I am just not familiar with the structure of the HttpRequest packets etc that you guys know in and out.
Hope I am understanding your requirement correctly but have you looked at Octagate? It's been a while since I used it.

There is also an IIS extension you can look into:
Code:
https://www.iis.net/downloads/microsoft/application-request-routing
(03-23-2018, 03:26 PM)davenovo Wrote:
(03-22-2018, 08:52 PM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: Hi David,

I will be pleased to do some beta testing!!!!! I am sure for you guys it is very easy to do. There seem to be about 10 windows API methods involved. I am just not familiar with the structure of the HttpRequest packets etc that you guys know in and out.

Cool! Core Http.sys engine is already working. A few more days and I should have something new to show. Stay tuned ;-)

Cheers
Wow, that is fantastic!
HI Alexandre,

Just wondering how this is going....