Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CSS Grid
Will IW 17 have built-in support for CSS Grid?
Yes, No, and Yes. Smile

17 treats HTML more abstracted than 14/15. Its like asking if VCL will support some low level WinAPI, when in fact it "uses" it more than "supports" it. 17 abstracts layouts at a higher level but provides the same level of functionality and more.

17 also allows you to more easily integrate existing HTML, but it "pulls" them in a higher level fashion.

Today we are shipping the first closed beta and in coming weeks we will begin to publish a lot more info and demos.
(09-23-2018, 01:26 PM)kudzu Wrote: Yes, No, and Yes. Smile

17 treats HTML more abstracted than 14/15. Its like asking if VCL will support some low level WinAPI, when in fact it "uses" it more than "supports" it. 17 abstracts layouts at a higher level but provides the same level of functionality and more.

17 also allows you to more easily integrate existing HTML, but it "pulls" them in a higher level fashion.

Today we are shipping the first closed beta and in coming weeks we will begin to publish a lot more info and demos.

Very interesting. Just keep in mind that CSS Grid now has built-in support of all browsers that matter, and that it is gathering momentum.

By "built-in" I mean that you don't even have to download (or reference via CDN) any library or stylesheet!

As you know -- layout is the biggest challenge in building pages. And with so many JS libraries -- they actually change the ordering of major layout elements in the DOM to achieve responsive.

CSS Grid is different -- very different.

If you were to support it structurally, or at worst with a property of TIWRegion -- it could be revolutionary.

In the future lack of support for CSS Grid could be equivalent to supporting everything in HTML except for the "div" tag Smile

And of course we'll need the IWBootstrap components to be updated and expanded for Bootstrap 4. Would be glad to do the legwork for you.
I can include you in the beta if you like.
(09-24-2018, 05:01 PM)kudzu Wrote: I can include you in the beta if you like.

Would love to be in it.

I keep thinking about CSS Grid and IW 17. Why would it not be possible to include a simple descendant of the parent of TIWRegion called TIWCSSGrid. It could have just enough properties to match the structure.

Now I come to IW -- I just drop down four of those puppies, set a few properties -- and then all the rest of my elements go in one of them. Voi la! All the anguish of messing with layouts is a thing of the past. No messing with margins and floats and all that mumbo jumbo.

Think about it -- things like jQuery and Bootstrap are vastly popular. But to use them you have to include references to them in your header. CSS Grid -- no references to anything needed. How many new paradigms come into being like that? Not very many.
Worrying about layouts are a thing of the past. 17 has Stacks, etc... Its like WPF with how it handles layouts, or kind of like FMX. But much closer to WPF.

Send me an email at atozed.sales on gmail and also sign up and create a telegram user so you can join the 17 room.

https://telegram.org/

TG needs a phone number but does not share it publicly like WhatsApp and others. If you dont want to use your real number, www.textnow.com you can set up a free virtual SMS number in about 10 seconds and use it to activate your TG account.