Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scalabilty intraweb app
Hi,
I ask for advice on scalability as our project is growing very quickly. I would need to scale my application (it is compiled as isapi.dll) giving more servers for our website and then dividing the database and directing requests to the different servers. I read about the Octagate product to sort requests to various servers. What are the guidelines for doing this? Can anyone give me some explanation on this?
Thank you
Andrea
Octagate is 100% compatible with IntraWeb (and their own web interface is also an IW application).

I never used it in production myself but it should be straightforward to make it work (basically all you need is to set URLBase on your application like we do for all reverse proxy servers). They have some docs here http://www.octagate.com/IntraWebApp.asp but this is only required for old IW versions. Newer versions don't need anything like that.

Regarding the application type. I would also test Http.sys in x64 mode and compare it against ISAPI. It is certainly simpler to deploy and the performance should also be better than ISAPI (not orders of magnitude faster, but still faster).

Not sure how is your application but there are lots of things you can also do to improve performance, especially when the application is a DB intensive one. Caching data and avoiding useless DB reads is the most important thing regarding it.
(02-04-2020, 10:51 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: Octagate is 100% compatible with IntraWeb (and their own web interface is also an IW application).

I never used it in production myself but it should be straightforward to make it work (basically all you need is to set URLBase on your application like we do for all reverse proxy servers). They have some docs here http://www.octagate.com/IntraWebApp.asp but this is only required for old IW versions. Newer versions don't need anything like that.

Regarding the application type. I would also test Http.sys in x64 mode and compare it against ISAPI. It is certainly simpler to deploy and the performance should also be better than ISAPI (not orders of magnitude faster, but still faster).

Not sure how is your application but there are lots of things you can also do to improve performance, especially when the application is a DB intensive one. Caching data and avoiding useless DB reads is the most important thing regarding it.
Howdy all,

is Octogate still in business?

Their website hasn’t been updated in 10 years.

Just asking.

All the best,

Shane
(02-04-2020, 12:57 PM)ShaneStump Wrote:
(02-04-2020, 10:51 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: Octagate is 100% compatible with IntraWeb (and their own web interface is also an IW application).

Howdy all,

is Octogate still in business?

Their website hasn’t been updated in 10 years.

Just asking.

All the best,

Shane
You are right. If you try to purchase, MyCommerce gives back an error saying: product notfound.
You can use any load balancer tht works with IIS so long as you enable persistent sessions.

You can do simple round robin DNS as well.
I'm not sure if they are in business but their product still works reliably. Last time I just dropped them an email and received a response in 1-2 days.