Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it possible to use new version of Indy 10
Why am I anticipating problems with C++Builder?

I've often felt that C++Builder is the stepchild in the Rad Studio family. Too frequently code samples and instructions are provided for Delphi/pascal. This seems particularly true with third party software. Indy is certainly not an exception to my observation.

Again, many thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.
(07-02-2018, 07:49 PM)OldBob1938 Wrote: I've often felt that C++Builder is the stepchild in the Rad Studio family.

Yes, and no. C++ is a much more complex language to support than Delphi/Pascal is, so Embarcadero has to take longer and use more resources to support C++Builder, so it tends to lag behind Delphi in terms of new developments. That, and C++Builder was EOL'ed back in 2002/2003 and took a few years to be revived in RAD Studio (when it was known as BDS instead).

(07-02-2018, 07:49 PM)OldBob1938 Wrote: Too frequently code samples and instructions are provided for Delphi/pascal.

Because they tend to be easier to work with, and because Delphi Pascal code can usually be used in C++Builder as-is, or they are fairly easily translatable to C++.

(07-02-2018, 07:49 PM)OldBob1938 Wrote: This seems particularly true with third party software.  Indy is certainly not an exception to my observation.  

On the other hand, I am primarily a C++Builder user (I use Delphi only for developing Indy, and for small projects), so I make sure that Indy supports C++Builder as best I can.

Within the EMBT RAD Studio ecosystem C++ users are about 5% of it last I heard and from what I can see in our user base as well. So it only makes sense for most vendors with limited resources to make Delphi demos instead. The project compatibility between IDE versions in C++ has been a big issue as well.

Quite frankly, C++ users in the RAD Studio world need to be proficient in Delphi enough to read it. Its been this way since C++ Builder debuted ~20 years ago.
Hi rlebeau,
Thanks for your reply and like to ask why with Indy 9 and why not with Indy 10? Because people think latest version will have less bugs and more compatible.
(07-04-2018, 02:02 PM)CollierConan Wrote: like to ask why with Indy 9 and why not with Indy 10?

I don't understand what you are asking.

Remy

You've been so gracious in the past.  I'm now faced with the need to upgrade my indy 10.1.5 version to the latest version that will work with builder 2007 and ansi  strings.  What version should I get and where will I find it?  I am a bit intimidated by attempting the upgrade, but it does need to be done.

Thanks in advance for your support

Bob
(12-15-2019, 07:33 PM)OldBob1938 Wrote: I'm now faced with the need to upgrade my indy 10.1.5 version to the latest version that will work with builder 2007 and ansi  strings.  What version should I get and where will I find it?

The current version is 10.6.2, and it does support D/CB 2007. Install Instructions are on Indy's website.

Hi Remy

The good news is that I've successfully installed 10.6.2. The bad news is that it isn't working. I use the MJFAF setup and instructions (I think I did it correctly).

Everything shows up in my C builder 2K7 correctly. All compiles and links without a hitch. But when I run the program from within the IDE and try to send an email ... complete failure. The unit containing the smtp client loads ok but I get exception errors on things like setting the password. I also get a message that the system cannot find IdException.pas. I believe that, because it isn't there. The MJFAF instructions said to delete or hide the source folder. When I tried idFTP the unit that uses it immediately reported that property IPVersion does not exist.

I do note that there are a couple of files in the BIN folder (dlls) that aren't mentioned in the MJFAF instructions, but leaving them in or not makes no difference. I am struggling with this ... it seemed so straightforward. I've obviously missed something.
(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: The good news is that I've successfully installed 10.6.2.  The bad news is that it isn't working.  I use the MJFAF setup and instructions (I think I did it correctly).

MJ's pre-compiled binaries are old - looks like about 4 years old, based on the timestamps of the compiled files in the downloadable zip files.

Your best option at this point is to just download Indy's source code from GitHub and compile it yourself. That will ensure you have the absolute latest version of Indy.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: Everything shows up in my C builder 2K7 correctly.  All compiles and links without a hitch.  But when I run the program from within the IDE and try to send an email ... complete failure.

That is not very helpful info. What EXACTLY goes wrong? Please be more specific.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: The unit containing the smtp client loads ok but I get exception errors on things like setting the password.

What are the EXACT error messages? I find it very hard to believe that you are getting an exception from simply setting the Password property, given that property doesn't even have a setter method assigned to it. So either you are setting the property value on an invalid TIdSMTP object, or the layout of your Indy .hpp header files does not match the binaries you are using. Or, are you actually experiencing a server-side error where the SMTP server is rejecting your password during the authentication stage? That would be a completely different issue.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: I also get a message that the system cannot find IdException.pas.  I believe that, because it isn't there.

That is normal behavior, if you are using only pre-compiled binaries and don't have their source code. The debugger is looking for Indy's source code to step into it, but you did not install the sources.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: The MJFAF instructions said to delete or hide the source folder.

And did you? The problems you describe could be a result of having a mix of multiple Indy versions on the same machine.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: When I tried idFTP the unit that uses it immediately reported that property IPVersion does not exist.

It should be. The IPVersion property is promoted to __published in TIdFTP, and was being done so in the version of Indy that MJ last compiled with. Which makes me all the more suspicious that you are compiling your code with older .hpp files located elsewhere on your machine.

(01-09-2020, 12:23 AM)OldBob1938 Wrote: I do note that there are a couple of files in the BIN folder (dlls) that aren't mentioned in the MJFAF instructions, but leaving them in or not makes no difference.  I am struggling with this ... it seemed so straightforward.  I've obviously missed something.

Did you read Indy's install instructions at all? Or did you just jump straight to MJ's instructions only?

Thanks for your response. I did jump straight to MJ's instructions since I only use C Builder.  But, I tried to recover as below

I'm afraid that I've become terribly frustrated.  Yesterday I uninstalled and then re-installed Rad Studio 2007.
downloaded a fresh copy of Indy 10_5520 and followed the 4 pages of instructions that I got from the indy site.
removed dclindycore100.bpl and dclindyprotocols100.bpl using components->install packages
deleted the dclindy and indy binaries from the bin folder
deleted indy files from the source,lib, and include folders
extracted everything from Indy 10_5520.zip to folder of the same name in downloads  (instructions said to use a folder of my choice,
      should I have run this from the codegear directory in program files?)
ran FULLD_2007.BAT and FULLC_2007.BAT 
looked in the BIN folder and did not find any indy  bpl files, and there were also no indy files in the source, lib, and include folders?
Opened the IDE, looked at componenets->install and there was just a message that it couldn't find any dclindy....100 bpls. 
I did notice that there are 2 new folders (C11 and D11) in Indy 10_5520 that are not in the zip.
re-ran the BAT files with the output sent to a text file and discovered this message at the end of the FULLD run
58585 lines, 0.19 seconds, 329 bytes code, 0 bytes data.
Compile Core   
CodeGear Delphi for Win32 compiler version 18.5
Copyright © 1983,2007 CodeGear

C:\Users\bob\Downloads\Indy10_5520\Lib\Core\IndyCore110.dpk(1)
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\Indy10_5520\Lib\Core\IndyCore110.dpk(25)
C:\Users\bob\Downloads\Indy10_5520\Lib\Core\IndyCore110.dpk(25) Fatal: E2202 Required package 'IndySystem110' not found
Error!
I can't be this stupid.  Lot's of people must have done this successfully .. it seems simple enough.