Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delphi 7 and Internet comunication
hello guys

I have been searching on google for the past weeks to no avail

Can someone share a link or a complete code to a working example of Indy(or other) server/client code which will allow me to send data from one IP to another IP. The chat example which comes with D7 seems to only work when run on localhost, all other attempts have failed with the D7 chat example, I can't even connect from one computer to another within the same house, this is really getting the best of me... grunts...

I need to send any kind of data, text, raw info (bytes, integers and whatnot) and of course files

This all should be for a server hosted anywhere, should it be on a private computer or a cloud (clients are only private owners) This to download updates, program activation and data... The server must be able to handle many clients at the same time (well, threading or whatnot) All this is for a game I am creating right now with D7

As I am really not gifted in internet stuff, I need something simple or with extensive help files so a dummy like me can understand it

or at least explain to me what I'm doing wrong with the "chat" example in D7

please help

Goul
(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: I have been searching on google for the past weeks to no avail

Can someone share a link or a complete code to a working example of Indy(or other) server/client code which will allow me to send data from one IP to another IP.

What you are asking for is very broad, and there are already plenty of examples and tutorials floating around if you search around. If you can't find anything, then you are not searching very well.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: The chat example which comes with D7 seems to only work when run on localhost, all other attempts have failed with the D7 chat example, I can't even connect from one computer to another within the same house, this is really getting the best of me... grunts...

Then you are not using it correctly.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: I need to send any kind of data, text, raw info (bytes, integers and whatnot) and of course files

Things that Indy handles well.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: This all should be for a server hosted anywhere, should it be on a private computer or a cloud (clients are only private owners)

You are aware, aren't you, that hosting a server on a private computer requires cooperation from your network router (port forwarding, etc) if you are trying to access the server from outside the LAN, and also requires approval from your ISP (allow ports to be accessed, possibly extra fees, etc) if you are trying to access the server over the public Internet.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: This to download updates, program activation and data...

Why are you trying to handle this with private servers, instead of hosting the updates and activations on a public Internet server that your customers can then connect to?

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: As I am really not gifted in internet stuff, I need something simple or with extensive help files so a dummy like me can understand it

There is nothing "simple" about networking. If you don't understand what you are doing, you are not going to succeed with this.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: or at least explain to me what I'm doing wrong with the "chat" example in D7

Nobody can answer that, since you didn't show the actual example (how many people still have D7 anyway???), or explain the actual problem(s) you are having with it.

If you are having a *specific* problem, please describe it in detail, and maybe someone will be able to help you.

(08-07-2018, 01:59 AM)rlebeau Wrote:
(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: I have been searching on google for the past weeks to no avail

Can someone share a link or a complete code to a working example of Indy(or other) server/client code which will allow me to send data from one IP to another IP.

What you are asking for is very broad, and there are already plenty of examples and tutorials floating around if you search around. If you can't find anything, then you are not searching very well.

Cant' seem to find annythingf usable... All I find is always missing something or need to be called einstein to set it up... I need something simple.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: The chat example which comes with D7 seems to only work when run on localhost, all other attempts have failed with the D7 chat example, I can't even connect from one computer to another within the same house, this is really getting the best of me... grunts...

Then you are not using it correctly.

Please explain how then, I can't find any help files for it... I suppose that it works, but I can't manage to set it up correctly, so I'm screwed.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: I need to send any kind of data, text, raw info (bytes, integers and whatnot) and of course files

Things that Indy handles well.

Indy it shall be then, I don't really care who or what as long as it does the job.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: This all should be for a server hosted anywhere, should it be on a private computer or a cloud (clients are only private owners)

You are aware, aren't you, that hosting a server on a private computer requires cooperation from your network router (port forwarding, etc) if you are trying to access the server from outside the LAN, and also requires approval from your ISP (allow ports to be accessed, possibly extra fees, etc) if you are trying to access the server over the public Internet.

Told you I suck in netting... I havent got a freaking clue about internet, I might be a pretty gifted programmer, but internet is very different from a game, DB manging program etc running just on 1 computer.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: This to download updates, program activation and data...

Why are you trying to handle this with private servers, instead of hosting the updates and activations on a public Internet server that your customers can then connect to?

Wanted to be able to run from my own craputer to test it to the bone to avoid bugs later once I host it on a cloud or whatnot (I clearly seem to lack some basics in that).

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: As I am really not gifted in internet stuff, I need something simple or with extensive help files so a dummy like me can understand it

There is nothing "simple" about networking. If you don't understand what you are doing, you are not going to succeed with this.

Never too late to learn, is it?

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: or at least explain to me what I'm doing wrong with the "chat" example in D7

Nobody can answer that, since you didn't show the actual example (how many people still have D7 anyway???), or explain the actual problem(s) you are having with it.

If you are having a *specific* problem, please describe it in detail, and maybe someone will be able to help you.

D7 is awesome ! I ran D5, XE3 and Lazarus for a while, the worst of all was XE3, it kept bugging my craputer even with 8Gigs of ram, 4 cores running at 3.6Ghz... And Lazarus, don't even get me started on that...

As for my problem, the chat example wont create a connection beond localhost, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

I hope you can point me the way to the right direction, I seem to turn in circles

I just figured out a few days ago what localhost was, now I would like to know how to go further in the connection, but as I seem not to ask Google the wrong questions, I forcibly get the wrong answers
(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: Please explain how then, I can't find any help files for it...

Of course you are not going to find any help file for a DEMO.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: I suppose that it works, but I can't manage to set it up correctly, so I'm screwed.

Since you haven't shown the ACTUAL CODE you are working with, we can't tell you what you are doing wrong with it or how to fix it.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: Told you I suck in netting... I havent got a freaking clue about internet, I might be a pretty gifted programmer, but internet is very different from a game, DB manging program etc running just on 1 computer.

Then I suggest you get yourself some good books on Networking, and programming with TCP.

(08-07-2018, 12:20 AM)Goultek Wrote: As for my problem, the chat example wont create a connection beond localhost, maybe I'm doing it wrong.

That is not useful information.  Please show the ACTUAL CODE, and explain what you tried to do with it to go beyond localhost.