Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SNMP "server" with Indy
Hello.

I'm looking for a way to add a SNMP "server" capability to an application that already has some TCP client and servers done with Indy and I really prefer keep using Indy to do this.

So, I'm looking for a way to make it happen.

I know there's no SNMP server component on the component pallet, which is the first thing I looked at when I was asked if it was possible.

If you know a robust implementation done with Indy, I will appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

If not, but you have any hint I can use to develop it myself, or if you think is not a good idea based in your experience or deep knowledge of the matter, please let me know your thoughts.

I have to say I'm still in a early research stage for this, assessing the paths I can take to implement it.

I don't have any previous experience with SNMP, and I will include acquiring the needed depth of knowledge over the protocol needed to reach my goal, so please forgive me if I'm asking for something with an obvious response.

As I have some previous experience with other standard and custom protocols (in general and with Indy), both server and client side, I hope I'm not totally lost.

Any hints are highly appreciated.

--
jachguate
(05-19-2021, 11:40 PM)jachguate Wrote: I know there's no SNMP server component on the component pallet

Correct. Indy has no SNMP server implementation.

(05-19-2021, 11:40 PM)jachguate Wrote: If you know a robust implementation done with Indy, I will appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

I do not recall ever encountering such an implementation.

(05-19-2021, 11:40 PM)jachguate Wrote: If not, but you have any hint I can use to develop it myself

Nothing stopping you from writing your own implementation of the relevant RFCs using TIdUDPServer, for instance.

Thank you for the Info Remy. 

As far as I can see, the protocol is extensive and complex. I need some basic stuff, only to _publish_ some info (mostly traffic counters), I think I will not need SSL support nor to process commands via SNMP.

Do you think there's any other relevant server code in Indy that I can observe as an example to implement the basic things of the protocol?

Thanks for your time.
--
jachguate