Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IW15 64bit deployment
Hi

We're currently trying to update a D2007 using IW9 application to XE4 with IW15.0.10.

The upgraded application seems to work on my development machine(s) in both 32bit and 64bit forms (I'm running Win10 on both my development PC and laptop) but for full testing I'm trying to deploy to 64bit Win2012R2 server.  However, I can't get the 64bit to work on the test server (I've also tried it on 64bit Win2008R2), it crashes as soon as it starts throwing an exception immediately whereas the 32bit version appears to run fine.  All the other 64bit applications we develop using XE4 (that don't use IW) work fine so it appears to be just a IW15 + 64bit that's the problem.

I'm hoping its just a case of some VC++ runtime that's missing from the server deployment - is this possible? 

Chris
We will need some description text, screenshot or other of the error please.
(09-03-2018, 01:21 PM)kudzu Wrote: We will need some description text, screenshot or other of the error please.

Hi Kudzu

can't be much help there I'm afraid - it errors immediately so you just get as per attached screenshot;

ChrisL

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

IW doesn't use VC runtime directly. Unless you included some library which does.

The first thing to check is Midas.dll. Do you use ClientDataSets directly or indirectly in your application?
In an effort to try and locate where this issue lies I have downloaded the demo's from your github area and rebuilt the tree demo as 32bit and 64bit in Delphi XE4 using the latest Intraweb 15.0.13 which I have added via the installer as usual.

Both 32bit and 64bit versions build and function correctly on Win10 but ONLY the 32bit version will work on Windows Server 2012R2 - I get exactly the same issue (i.e. it immediately crashes) just the same as I see on my internal application.  I have not done anything to the source code in the application other than add in the 64bit platform and rename them both after building the exe's.  I have also tried this on another Windows2008R2 server and I get the same problem.  Both servers are right up to date with patches.

On windows Server 2016 I get this in the event log (it doesn't work there either but it crashes silently);

Faulting application name: TreeViewDemo_64bit.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb4bd82
Faulting module name: TreeViewDemo_64bit.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5bb4bd82
Exception code: 0xc000001d
Fault offset: 0x000000000039f6ee
Faulting process id: 0x342c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d45b1d2363d625
Faulting application path: C:\Temp\TreeViewDemo_64bit.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Temp\TreeViewDemo_64bit.exe
Report Id: c1d42fc7-2cf6-42e9-a596-86989f6625bc
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

I've also attached screenshots to assist you in finding the problem.

Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-03-2018, 07:11 AM)chrisl Wrote: Hi

We're currently trying to update a D2007 using IW9 application to XE4 with IW15.0.10.

The upgraded application seems to work on my development machine(s) in both 32bit and 64bit forms (I'm running Win10 on both my development PC and laptop) but for full testing I'm trying to deploy to 64bit Win2012R2 server.  However, I can't get the 64bit to work on the test server (I've also tried it on 64bit Win2008R2), it crashes as soon as it starts throwing an exception immediately whereas the 32bit version appears to run fine.  All the other 64bit applications we develop using XE4 (that don't use IW) work fine so it appears to be just a IW15 + 64bit that's the problem.

I'm hoping its just a case of some VC++ runtime that's missing from the server deployment - is this possible? 

Chris

I'm running a large IW15 app (built with Delphi, not C++, started life as IW14), 64-bit only against PG9.4 64-bit on Server 2012 R2 Standard -- and it works just fine. Very possible that's a CPPB issue.
This is built with Delphi XE4 (not CPP), right? I'll get the same TreeView demo project tested in our Win 2016 server so I can give you a better feedback on this.

Have you checked if there is any LOG file generated as a response to that crash?
Hi 

yes Delphi XE4 not CPPB.

No log file generated (there's just the event log entry) - is there a way to force one?

Chris
I ran an extensive testing using different IW 15 applications, in Windows 2008R2 Server, Windows 2012R2 Server and Windows 2016 Servers. Both Indy and Http.sys type servers, x86 and x64. Applications were compiled using Delphi XE4 and also Delphi 10.2. Everything worked flawlessly:

TreeViewDemo, Indy x64, Windows 2008R2 Standard Server:

[Image: Win2008R2Server_TreeViewDemo.png]

Another demo, Http.sys x64, in the same Windows 2008R2 Server:

[Image: Win2008R2Server.png]

TreeView demo, Indy x64 running in Windows 2012R2 Server:

[Image: Win2012Server.png]

Same demo, running on another server, this time Windows 2016 Standard Server:

[Image: Win2016Server.png]

So.... I suspect there is something wrong with your server...

Can you check if the logged user has write access to application folder and also Windows temp folder? Have you tried running this application with administrator privileges?
Hi Alexandre

I've built from my laptop and my desktop PC - in both cases the 32bit works its just the 64 bit version that instantly crashes so I'm doubting if its account related (it occurs under different users too).  

It's not only 1 server I (I've tested 4 servers so far - some physical, some virtual) and non-Intraweb 64 bit applications work fine.  That's why initially I thought all our servers might be missing some Microsoft 64bit runtime libraries.

Anyway, I'll keep looking...and if you've any other ideas I could try...

Chris