Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Standalone fails each day on VM
Good day
  I have several standalone (Indy style) programs which have run for years but need to move them to virtual machine environments. For some reason they fail every day. Has anybody else encountered this and what does one need to do for them to continue running in a virtual server environment?

Thanks
   Bruce

Maybe I should add that I use Delphi 10.3 with IW 15.1.18
There is no difference that would affect IW or Indy in a virtual server. You can run a simple Guess demo and see there is no difference.

It has to be something in your application code that is being affected by some difference on the server but unlikely related to it being a virtual server but instead some configuration or other option.

Also "fail every day" is not very descriptive.
Hi and thanks.

The standalone gets started, it works several times when I access it but when I try to use it a day later it has failed. Start again, works but by next day it has stopped. I have not been able to get any error messages to help identify more.

I am using exactly the same exe file that works perfectly on a physical computer connected to the web so it should not be any setting within my Intraweb program.

Any suggestions for what I might look for on the VM machine? I don't control the VM's and am not an IT person, just a geologist who can program.

Thanks
Bruce
(06-25-2020, 05:38 PM)bruce.eglington@usask.ca Wrote: Hi and thanks.

The standalone gets started, it works several times when I access it but when I try to use it a day later it has failed. Start again, works but by next day it has stopped. I have not been able to get any error messages to help identify more.

I am using exactly the same exe file that works perfectly on a physical computer connected to the web so it should not be any setting within my Intraweb program.

Any suggestions for what I might look for on the VM machine? I don't control the VM's and am not an IT person, just a geologist who can program.

Thanks
  Bruce

We use VM's all the time without issues.

Are you running this as a service or under IIS?   It almost sounds like you are running it from the exe?   If so it is real simple to convert it to run as a service on the box.
I need you to be a little more forthcoming with details so we dont have to go back and forth so much.

Define "stopped". Is the EXE still running? Or is it just stopping responding to connections? If the EXE is still running can you access it locally on that VM using 127.0.0.1? In task manager are RAM and CPU at normal levels?

Is there an .err file in the application directory?

Are you logging session exceptions in any way?
(06-25-2020, 05:38 PM)bruce.eglington@usask.ca Wrote: Hi and thanks.

Thanks
  Bruce

Is this VM open to the internet? 
How many cores does the VM have?
When you say Stand alone I think you are meaning the GUI app, correct?
Does it crash or only stops responding?
Are you using the exception logger?