Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barcode Scanning?
I don't have immediate use for those but did look at the sites above since I'm curious.

It appears that one reads bar codes (but not QR codes), the other reads QR code (but not barcode). I haven't tried any samples to confirm though.

Which codes are you trying to read? I've created/printed barcodes for decades, long enough that I had to figure out the codes and write my own lib for the ones I needed (coded documents for scanning/indexing). Any reading I needed for testing I just used a wand <lol>. These days you need to do it with phones.

Dan
(05-24-2020, 04:43 AM)DanBarclay Wrote: I don't have immediate use for those but did look at the sites above since I'm curious. 

It appears that one reads bar codes (but not QR codes), the other reads QR code (but not barcode).  I haven't tried any samples to confirm though.

Which codes are you trying to read?  I've created/printed barcodes for decades, long enough that I had to figure out the codes and write my own lib for the ones I needed (coded documents for scanning/indexing).  Any reading I needed for testing I just used a wand <lol>.  These days you need to do it with phones.

Dan
Good morning Dan!

I use Fast Report to allow my customers to create custom reports / tickets so I have allowed them to use all types of barcodes in the past.

The last time I tried to do a web barcode scanning solution 5+ years ago, I was still thinking / taking a PC centric view; that is, using a barcode scanner to scan a barcode as phones were to slow / uneven performance.

Yesterday I tried my various phones from the last 2 years + my IPad 2018 Pro and they all worked great using the QR code demo.

So for my upcoming solution, I am going to tell them they have to use QR codes and I am going to provide another task with my IW web module.

This will be a good solution until I have time to finish my standalone FireMonkey app which will also allow many other tasks.

All the best,

Shane
(05-24-2020, 10:06 AM)ShaneStump Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 04:43 AM)DanBarclay Wrote: I don't have immediate use for those but did look at the sites above since I'm curious. 

It appears that one reads bar codes (but not QR codes), the other reads QR code (but not barcode).  I haven't tried any samples to confirm though.

Which codes are you trying to read?  I've created/printed barcodes for decades, long enough that I had to figure out the codes and write my own lib for the ones I needed (coded documents for scanning/indexing).  Any reading I needed for testing I just used a wand <lol>.  These days you need to do it with phones.

Dan
Good morning Dan!

I use Fast Report to allow my customers to create custom reports / tickets so I have allowed them to use all types of barcodes in the past.

The last time I tried to do a web barcode scanning solution 5+ years ago, I was still thinking / taking a PC centric view; that is, using a barcode scanner to scan a barcode as phones were to slow / uneven performance.

Yesterday I tried my various phones from the last 2 years + my IPad 2018 Pro and they all worked great using the QR code demo.

So for my upcoming solution, I am going to tell them they have to use QR codes and I am going to provide another task with my IW web module.

This will be a good solution until I have time to finish my standalone FireMonkey app which will also allow many other tasks.

All the best,

Shane

Someone may have already posted this, but there is open source Delphi code at Debenu for creating QR code:

https://www.debenu.com/open-source/delphizxingqrcode/

Dan
I have bookmarked it! Thanks!

For my reservation system, FastReport works very well for all types of barcodes!

All the best,

Shane
Hi Shane,

I also have 2 applications in production that use barcode scanning. 1D btw no QR but I think processing is the same.
The technique used, is different from what's already presented in this thread.
The customers run there application from a mobile or tablet android device or from a pc.
From the pc the only option is to connect a barcode scanner by USB or Bluetooth. This behaves as a keyboard input. After the barcode is read the scanner sends out the data terminated by some sequence like carriage return.
From the android device the additional option is making use of the camera and the app Barcode Scanner or Barcode Scanner+ from the ZXing Team.
By pressing a button in the IW app, the barcode app is started to scan a barcode. After scanning the control is given back to the IW app.
By using the instructions from https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2635...a-web-page this also works in AJAX.
Attached a template file as an example.

I also used the quaggaJS library but found it slow on my test device.

Attached Files
.zip   DlgStock.zip (Size: 2.49 KB / Downloads: 12)
Good day Jeroen!

In the past, most of my customers who use barcode scanning also use 1D barcodes and a Windows based application I wrote to scan.

I have been wanting / trying to finish up a mobile FireMonkey application but have never had the time being a one-man shop.

I have decided to use an IW app for now because of ease of deployment and large field of device compatibility (i.e. the customers can use any device that will work and if all my modern devices do, I figure they can find something that will work)!

Thanks for the link - I will investigate it to. I am adding a Bootstrap page now in my application to use what I have working and I am hoping to deploy it later this week for wide scale testing among my customers needing the solution.

All the best,

Shane
(05-24-2020, 01:09 AM)ShaneStump Wrote: Dan,

I will see what I can do once I finish getting it wrapped around my head.

These days I basically write a class that wraps the functionality and then sub-class a TIWBS4Label at run-time.

All the best,

Shane

Did a demo of this functionality in IW get created?

Thanks!

Don