Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ajax server error with cell phones
(09-07-2019, 06:11 PM)bob9999 Wrote: I changed the compression to 9 but the system is still non-responsive and slow on a cell network.  I am noticing a control is behaving odd from a jq conflict.  Can this cause the issue over a cell network?  I am so perplexed since all is fine when over wi-fi.  What is so different over a cell network or data plan?  Cheers. bob

I'd recommend you to use IW built-in speed simulation (in first tab of SA) and, as Chad mentioned, use HTTPS. HTTPS is a must these days for everything. Most browsers will start annoying users with warnings because your site is not running HTTPS.
Hi there.  The application is now in SSL with a domain name now.  One thing I should mention is this is a httpsys (IWStartHSys) application and I also have CG Dev Tools components rendering with IW components.

So the application is WAY faster now.  Client says 10 times faster but the browser renders screen and then stops half way and chugs going by chrome progress bar.  It is like it is getting stuck loading the ajax or something in order to actually use the screen.  There is also a pause before the screen initially renders.

Thank you for the SSL suggestion.  This is way better now.  Any other ideas to get the phone over cell network to work as fast as wifi?

Cheers.
It sounds like network lag. What kind of data connection is it? 2G? 3G? 4G?
Hi there.  I think you are right.  This is 4G and 5G.  Around us here the announced they are pulling the 3G out of the towers since the 5G is being deployed.  My son is saying that he is traversing the screens OK and will test more today as he travels around form cell tower to cell tower area.  I will post another entry here with the results.  Cheers!
Hi there.  So what I found is that when I use a dialogue box/popup from CG Dev Tools, this is what is croaking the cell network.  Unsure what is downloading there to allow the screen to be used but when I delete the dialogue from the form, then the screen loads quick.  So the issue now is working through the forms and seeing what combination of CG components croak on cell phone network.  Thank you for all your assistance and SSL was definitely the key thing that allowed me to find the rest.  I will post on the CG forum with my findings so maybe they can improve the Ajax load or whatever is going on.  Cheers!
You can run the app with and without those components and use the browser debugger to see which extra resources are being loaded.
(09-21-2019, 05:21 PM)bob9999 Wrote: Hi there.  So what I found is that when I use a dialogue box/popup from CG Dev Tools, this is what is croaking the cell network.  Unsure what is downloading there to allow the screen to be used but when I delete the dialogue from the form, then the screen loads quick.  So the issue now is working through the forms and seeing what combination of CG components croak on cell phone network.  Thank you for all your assistance and SSL was definitely the key thing that allowed me to find the rest.  I will post on the CG forum with my findings so maybe they can improve the Ajax load or whatever is going on.  Cheers!

Do a simple test:

start the application using the SA window. Run your test on the cell phone and check the SA Server tab and check the *Bytes sent* number.

It will give you an exact number of how many bytes were transmitted between your server and the phone. Having this will allow you to identify what is happening. I've seen applications that users were complaining about performance on slow networks which were transmitting more than 10 Mb just to render the first form. This, of course, was *way too much* if you are running on a slow network.
Thank you very much for both your suggestions to tune things.  Been an interesting journey fitting things down this little cell phone pipe.  Nice to have all this power on a cell phone but getting information to the device is interesting.  Cheers!
I converted the embedded dialog in the form to a frame on demand create and that solved the issues with the one form. Now I am limiting the data on the other form to limit the information being loaded on the screen for first load. User can request more data incremental. The trick/art seems to be to have incremental on demand loads. So lucky for me there is the frame concept! That re-engineering in my app to that was key. Thanks again for all your assistance and suggestions. Cheers!