Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back / Forward Button Revisit!
Howdy All!

I have a couple customers that would like me to allow the use of the browser back/forward buttons and I have tried explaining to them that would most likely cause the state of my web application to become 'lost'?

How are other IW users handling this? I keep being total that modern web apps should allow the back/forward buttons so I thought I would ask here and see if there is a solution in IW apps I could allow it.

All the best,

Shane
(02-03-2019, 07:35 AM)ShaneStump Wrote: Howdy All!

I have a couple customers that would like me to allow the use of the browser back/forward buttons and I have tried explaining to them that would most likely cause the state of my web application to become 'lost'?

How are other IW users handling this? I keep being total that modern web apps should allow the back/forward buttons so I thought I would ask here and see if there is a solution in IW apps I could allow it.

All the best,

Shane

The last time I tried to use the back button it was messy.   Instead, I put a back button right under the browser back button in the header of the application.  I have not had any complaints since then; however, I probably will need to figure it out at some point since it is annoying with the site is run from a phone.
Howdy Joel!

It is funny you replied right when I just started addressing another issue in my new BS4 responsive app!

I put my 'navigation buttons' on a navbar and that idea works great until you get to mobile devices and the buttons disappear to the navbar's responsive 'drop-down' button. So I am now adding real buttons to my application that will always be on the screen and responsive....

I really do prefer Windows / IOS / Android programming to web development  Sad!

Well, back to work!

Have a great evening / night!

Shane
The best way is in fact to build in soft buttons to your application.

The browsers regularly change stuff in this area and Chrome has announced they are going to soon break the back button again and affect a lot of apps well beyond IW.
Howdy Chad!

I have been doing that but still get a few complaints.

My current web module (and the new one) allows a shopping cart and I am going to give my users the ability to turn it off. With it off, my app will be a single page and it will be easier to handle logically (since there really is none).

I have seen a few apps that appear to implement a modal dialog over an existing web page - maybe that will be an option.

All the best,

Shane
Trying to process the hard browser back button will be problematic and only increase with the future. Even stateless apps now are often having issues with the browsers back button because of browser changing how they respond to it, how they cache, etc.