Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fix to eliminate iconv for android (and other unix-es)
"Indy 8 and 9 did not use iconv at all. Support for iconv is only in Indy 10 (added/updated within the last 10 years). So again, what EXACTLY is crashing? Your earlier trace only provides one useful piece of information ("Cause: null pointer dereference"), but doesn't explain WHERE the null pointer is being used. I would rather see that error fixed if possible, before updating Indy to use a completely different charset library (especially one that will REDUCE functionality."

I am talking for Android 8,9,10, INdy is always 10Smile
Many peoples reported for the problems with Android 10 and libc (not for indy and Iconv).
I am using ndk r18, I recompiled iconv with the same ndk, the result is the same - craash.

"Did you try debugging into Indy's/iconvenc's source code to figure out where the crash was actually occurring, and under which conditions exacty?"

Condition is one and the same - first call of iconv.
But it is not Indy problem - I try to call Iconv outside the indy in a simple application, the result is exactly the same - crash.

"More importantly, what about charsets that LConvEncoding doesn't support? Indy would have to delegate to SOMETHING for them."

In that cases I just copy input as output.

I know that proposed solution is not the best one, thats the reason that I propose it as a "bypassing" of the problem in Android. Now, nobody can not use indy in Android 10.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Fix to eliminate iconv for android (and other unix-es) - by ZGabrovski@gmail.com - 01-31-2021, 08:16 AM