Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIdSmtpServer not freeing threads
Hi,

I have an extremely simple SmtpServer set up to simply receive emails and write them to disk.  My problem is that over several hours the number of active threads just keeps growing, leading me to believe they are not being freed correctly.  I further have to conclude it is quite likely as a result of something I am doing or not doing that is causing this, however for the life of me I cant seem to identify the problem.

I have attached my sources, they do contain an external reference to a text file logging routine that is thread safe (file protected by critical section) that has been used without issue for many years.

In my current setup I am binding to 20 IP addresses and they all seem to receive and handle the incomming email as expected.  The load on the system is between 1 and 5 messages per minute.  after 24 hours there are well over 1,000 threads active, this would not be all the threads created (fewer than messages received) in that period.

By my speculation my error should be in my configuration of the component
    with WwolSmtpServ do
    begin
      ReuseSocket := rsTrue;
      AllowPipelining := True;
      ServerName := 'WWOL SMTP server';
      DefaultPort := 25;
      ListenQueue := 50;
      MaxConnections := 0;
      MaxMsgSize := 0;
      TerminateWaitTime := 500;
      UseNagle := True;
      UseTLS := utNoTLSSupport;
    end;

OR in my component exception handlers
procedure TdSmtpServ.WwolSmtpServException(AContext: TIdContext; AException: Exception);
begin
  try
    if ((AException is EIdConnClosedGracefully) or (AException is EIdNotConnected)) then
    begin
      Exit;
    end
    else
    begin

if AContext.Connection.Connected then
      begin
        Log(Now, 0, 1, AContext.Binding.IP, AContext.Binding.PeerIP, AException.ClassName, AException.message + ' - ' + ' SmtpServException still connected');
        AContext.Connection.Disconnect;
      end
      else
        Log(Now, 0, 1, AContext.Binding.IP, AContext.Binding.PeerIP, AException.ClassName, AException.message + ' - ' + ' SmtpServException disconnected');
      // AContext.Connection.Disconnect(False);
    end;
  except
    on E: Exception do
    begin
      dmMain.TextLog('WwolSmtpServException : ' + E.Message);
      dmMain.TextLog('WwolSmtpServException : ' + AContext.Binding.IP + ' : ' + AContext.Binding.PeerIP + ' : ' + AException.ClassName + ' : ' + AException.message);
    end;
  end;
end;

procedure TdSmtpServ.WwolSmtpServListenException(AThread: TIdListenerThread; AException: Exception);
begin
  // Log(logModerate, 0, 'TdSmtpServ', 'WwolSmtpServListenException', '', '', AException.Message);
  Log(Now, 0, -3, AThread.Binding.IP, AThread.Binding.PeerIP, AException.ClassName, AException.message + ' - WwolSmtpServListenException');
  // AThread.Connection.Disconnect;
end;

OR in the component disconnect event
procedure TdSmtpServ.WwolSmtpServConnect(AContext: TIdContext);
begin
  Log(Now, 0, -4, AContext.Binding.IP, AContext.Binding.PeerIP, 'WwolSmtpServConnect',
    AContext.Binding.DisplayName + ' - ' + ' WwolSmtpServConnect');

end;

I am hoping I have missed something stupid and some fresh eyes might see the obvious,

Thanks for any assistance
-Allen

Attached Files
.txt   SmtpServ.txt (Size: 16.08 KB / Downloads: 1)

Messages In This Thread
TIdSmtpServer not freeing threads - by bluewwol - 10-24-2018, 05:04 PM