Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use IMAP to copy/verify folder on another server
(05-08-2022, 12:39 AM)ArnoldGoat Wrote: I assume some sort of magic happens which enables the transfer between IMAP accounts without actually sending emails.

IMAP is a mailbox management protocol, not an email delivery protocol (that is why you need a separate SMTP connection to send emails). IMAP has commands for adding emails to folders, copying/moving emails between folders, etc. Transferring an email between IMAP accounts is simply a matter of downloading the email from one account and then adding it as-is to a folder in the other account.

(05-08-2022, 12:39 AM)ArnoldGoat Wrote: I discovered that there are quite a few emails missing, and trying to copy many in one go just doesn't work reliably.

Then you should contact Mozilla about that. Maybe it is a bug in Thunderbird, or maybe it is a bug in the target server, or maybe there are errors being reported in the IMAP exchange. Who knows. There is not enough information to go on.

(05-08-2022, 12:39 AM)ArnoldGoat Wrote: So here's my proposal? Is it viable?

Sounds fine to me.

(05-08-2022, 12:39 AM)ArnoldGoat Wrote: Getting TB to work with 365 involved an app-specific password; I assume something similar is needed.

Probably so, yes.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Use IMAP to copy/verify folder on another server - by rlebeau - 05-09-2022, 04:32 PM