Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IW memory and exception
(05-18-2021, 07:17 AM)gabin1405 Wrote: Hello,

I’m working on a Delphi 10.4 migration of our IW project.
I’ve got some memory issue, mostly.

First of all, the program seems to have a different behavior compared to our 10.1 version. For example, we had some IW frames automatically deleted (kind of garbage collector), but we have to free it manually since this 10.4 version.

The second point is about the memory leak. The program doesn’t seem to accept any of it. I know that we worked with some leaks for years. Now any Freeing with memory leaks causes a crash of the application (we have of course try except everywhere, but the exception get back to servercontroller).

Did you ever met this points ? Do you have some advices about it ? I use Delphi 10.4.1 and IW 15.2.18.

Best regards,

I don't think that the migration form D 10.1 to 10.4 is able to change the behavior like that. Probably what is happening is that some memory corruption has a different side effect now (memory layout of objects changed from 10.1 to 10.4) and something wrong before could pass unnoticed but causes some nasty problem now.

I would start by disabling this "garbage collector" because it doesn't seem to be working as expected. Do you mind sharing how you do that?

Secondly I would track down the memory leaks.
More often than not, memory leaks indicate design problems that can have more consequences than anticipated. There is no reason to have memory leaks and they are extremely harmful in server applications supposed to run uninterruptedly for months.
I suggest FastMM4 (there is a version included with IW) to track down the memory leaks. If you have never done it using FastMM, please let me know and I'll see if I can find some info or provide you a simple how to.

Messages In This Thread
IW memory and exception - by gabin1405 - 05-18-2021, 07:17 AM
RE: IW memory and exception - by cpstevenc - 05-18-2021, 08:29 PM
RE: IW memory and exception - by Alexandre Machado - 05-18-2021, 09:49 PM
RE: IW memory and exception - by DanBarclay - 05-19-2021, 06:30 AM
RE: IW memory and exception - by gabin1405 - 05-20-2021, 01:47 PM