Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Weird session form overlay issue and memory leaks
>>I have no idea if you are talking about IW or CG code here...
>>IW has always worked in both sync and async modes.

It's an old bug which I also remember (sync and async were mutually exclusive on a form), maybe a pre 14 issue. 

>>As mentioned in my previous answer, a form *can* be created and
>>shown during an async event. There is no restrictions to that.

I was trying to say that by noting I couldn't reproduce my old async -> form creation issue on 15.1.12 and that switching to sync mode would be a temporary work around.

I noticed you edited bob9999's post where he acknowledged my suggestion worked and also wondered if it would fix the memory leak. 
I found this item in the 15.0.4 Version History:
Bug fixes
Calling IWForm.Release() from async method could fail
https://www.atozed.com/2018/06/15-0-4-h/

Seems like this could explain everything and maybe it wasn't really fixed until a later release.  I'm not understanding the value of removing relevant info from a post when it could help someone else, maybe anyone stuck on an early 15 release.  Removing the info makes the issue less clear, not more clear.  It also uncaptured the effort taken to test and acknowlegde a fix for a serious production issue.

As a long time customer 

[Image: MJS_ATOZED.png]

let me say that I believe IntraWeb is a brilliant piece of work and I appreciate your expertise and efforts.  That said, on almost every IW project I've implemented there's always something.  Some little thing (or occasionally a big thing) that will cost me hours of investigation and workarounds which makes it tough to estimate and deliver on time.  As much as I admire IntraWeb it has given me a few gray hairs over the years.  My theory is stuff falls through the cracks because you don't use a dedicated defect tracking system with priorities, time estimates, etc.  And product documentation - IW would be more organized, maintainable, and understandable if the documentation were kept up to date and defects were formally tracked.  

Regards,
Mark

Messages In This Thread
RE: Weird session form overlay issue and memory leaks - by MJS@mjs.us - 01-29-2020, 03:16 PM