Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IW17 + Bootstrap 4
Howdy IW Team!

Sorry to keep bringing this up every few months, but the owner of my software keep asking me for our 2019/2020 roadmap!

Is bootstrap 4 or another layout manager going to be provided in IW 17 for responsive development? 

I have tried to keep up with the IW 17 blog/channel, but most of the demos coming out of it don't seem to show me how I am going to keep competitive with my competitors on the web at this moment.

Happy New Year and looking forward to your response!

Shane
Yes. BS and many other layouts will be in 17.
Hi Shane,

what is your specific requirement for Boostrap 4? I mean, BS 4 has lots of changes but most end users can't tell the difference between BS 3 and 4...
Howdy Alex!

Bootstrap 4 has several nice new features including:

1) Flexgrid system

2) Cards (just a more thought out version of panels/etc).

3) The biggest thing is that 4.x was released in 2018 and version BS 3.x in 2013. I, for once, wanted to start a web project / update that I wasn't already using depreciated components.

To be honest, I have been using a user's PARTIAL update of Kattunga's Bootstrap 3 components to Bootstrap 4. This has been what I was hoping to avoid in that what works, works and what doesn't, doesn't. The user has tried being helpful but he has to feed his family and the changes between 3.x and 4.x sometimes were major and involve a lot of time.

The only way I am going to be able to develop a web application that I don't spend 5 times as much time as I should is going to be if the UI components are directly supported by IW or I have to learn / use a different tool. I really am hoping that IW 17 gets me out of this long cycle of development.

All the best,

Shane

P.S. If the components in IW 17 are modern looking and responsive, I really don't care if it is Bootstrap 4.x or something else as long as it does the job and is SUPPORTED!
17 will support BS, but most people wont need it once they see the built in layouts.
(01-12-2019, 02:31 PM)kudzu Wrote: 17 will support BS, but most people wont need it once they see the built in layouts.

I am looking forward to it.

But I will say this: Bootstrap 4's flexgrid is very, very powerful and allows complex things to be done real easily. I am surprised what I have been able to do with it in such short time.

If I could get the Kattunga BS 3.x components supporting 4.x (another user almost has it there if he can find the time),  I honestly would finally be productive again with IW against my competitors (latest one got bought by Booking.com for $300M)!

Any chance of IW being out by Monday  Smile?

All the best,

Shane