Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Browser Back Button Again #999,332
Howdy All,

One of my competitors overlays the current web page with their web application and any attempt to leave the page (back button, entering a new URL, etc) pops up a dialog asking if you are sure.

Any idea on how to implement such a feature? Even if the user tries to change the URL?

Most of the grievances I get from my customers is because their customers use the back button, etc and screw up the web reservation process.

Thanks,

Shane
(07-16-2019, 11:17 PM)ShaneStump Wrote: Howdy All,

One of my competitors overlays the current web page with their web application and any attempt to leave the page (back button, entering a new URL, etc) pops up a dialog asking if you are sure.

Any idea on how to implement such a feature? Even if the user tries to change the URL?

Most of the grievances I get from my customers is because their customers use the back button, etc and screw up the web reservation process.

Thanks,

Shane

What are you setting for the following on your servercontroller?

BackButtonOptions.Mode := bmInterceptGlobal;

BackButtonOptions.ShowMessage := True;
Howdy Joel!

That is what I have and it works most of the time in my forms (but not if I am showing a modal dialog).

And it does NOT work if the user changes the URL.

All the best,

Shane
>And it does NOT work if the user changes the URL.

You don't expect IntraWeb to trap your user forever inside your application even if he/she changes the URL, right?
This is not how web is supposed to work and it won't ever work like that (thankfully!). Browsers will make sure that end user actions will prevail, doesn't matter what tricks you have in your JavaScript bag...

What your competitor has is probably an onbeforeunload event which detects that your page is about to be unloaded and shows a message. It is *terribly* annoying for end users. Imagine if each page you visit asked you "Are you sure that you want to move away from this wonderful web site?"....

anyway, implementing that "feature" is up to the web developer.
(07-18-2019, 01:26 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: >And it does NOT work if the user changes the URL.

You don't expect IntraWeb to trap your user forever inside your application even if he/she changes the URL, right?
This is not how web is supposed to work and it won't ever work like that (thankfully!). Browsers will make sure that end user actions will prevail, doesn't matter what tricks you have in your JavaScript bag...

What your competitor has is probably an onbeforeunload event which detects that your page is about to be unloaded and shows a message. It is *terribly* annoying for end users. Imagine if each page you visit asked you "Are you sure that you want to move away from this wonderful web site?"....

Howdy Alexandre!

The problem is many users use the browser's backward / forward buttons for navigation and it causes all kinds of problems - I guess I can try and implement one of the various 'hash value' schemes I have read others do.

If you don't mind me asking, how does IW's back button detection work? Would it be easily possible to add a OnBeforeUnload event to the TIWAppForm?

All the best,

Shane
(07-19-2019, 01:22 AM)ShaneStump Wrote:
(07-18-2019, 01:26 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: >And it does NOT work if the user changes the URL.

Howdy Alexandre!

The problem is many users use the browser's backward / forward buttons for navigation and it causes all kinds of problems - I guess I can try and implement one of the various 'hash value' schemes I have read others do.

If you don't mind me asking, how does IW's back button detection work? Would it be easily possible to add a OnBeforeUnload event to the TIWAppForm?

All the best,

Shane
I do hate those messages that never let you go, but on some IW apps there may be a form "flow" that the user is part way through. 

It would be handy to detect that they are going off the reservation and give them a warning, with instructions on how to get back to where they were if they really want to leave.  It would make me scream if you couldn't get away from it but some flexibility there would be handy.

Dan
The problem is that a user could make a lot of selections in a page and then hit the back button without thinking and lose all their selections.

Any how, there are a lot of different ways of supposively doing it on the web. I will just have to research it.

I am hoping sometime in late 2020 to move most of my customers to mobile apps instead of the web and then I don't have to worry about this (and other browser related issues).

All the best,

Shane