Atozed Forums

Full Version: ServerController: ComInitialization property
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What is the ServerController: ComInitialization property and what does it do? 

Mine was set to ciNone but everything worked. There are 2 other options ciMultithreaded and ciNormal. Could someone please explain these setings 

Thanks
Hi, ComInitialization is used for ADO connections.
so if I am not using an ADO connection then its irrelevant whether its set to ciNone or any other option, right?
Yes, theoretically it should not matter.
(05-02-2019, 02:35 PM)msgopala Wrote: [ -> ]so if I am not using an ADO connection then its irrelevant whether its set to ciNone or any other option, right?

It is for when you are using COM interfaces *like* ADO.   Yes, needed for ADO.   Whether you still need it depends on whether you are using some other COM interface that needs it.

Dan
(05-02-2019, 04:06 PM)DanBarclay Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2019, 02:35 PM)msgopala Wrote: [ -> ]so if I am not using an ADO connection then its irrelevant whether its set to ciNone or any other option, right?

It is for when you are using COM interfaces *like* ADO.   Yes, needed for ADO.   Whether you still need it depends on whether you are using some other COM interface that needs it.

Dan

For example, IWCGjQuery (cgdevtools) needs COM initialization as well.
(05-02-2019, 01:32 PM)msgopala Wrote: [ -> ]What is the ServerController: ComInitialization property and what does it do? 

Mine was set to ciNone but everything worked. There are 2 other options ciMultithreaded and ciNormal. Could someone please explain these setings 

Thanks

People already responded and they are correct. You should only enable ComInitialization if you are using any COM interface. ADO is based on COM, so it is needed if you use ADO. Otherwise, leave it as ciNone
(05-06-2019, 07:48 AM)Alexandre Machado Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-02-2019, 01:32 PM)msgopala Wrote: [ -> ]What is the ServerController: ComInitialization property and what does it do? 

Thanks

People already responded and they are correct. You should only enable ComInitialization if you are using any COM interface. ADO is based on COM, so it is needed if you use ADO. Otherwise, leave it as ciNone

I use TMS components and the only reason I am wanting to be sure is because for one of their component errors it was suggested by their forum admin to set the ComInitialization property to ciNormal, as their TTIWAdvImageButtton picture type handling uses OLE.

https://www.tmssoftware.com/site/forum/f...7101#47101
Holy moly.... a web control which uses OLE to display a picture.... I'm speechless....  Angel
I'll have to check if there is something in our back log related to this specific TMS control which causes issues in IW applications.

Last year, while investigating why a customer application was failing under load, we detected that it was due to some TMS control bug, one decade old at least, never fixed. If I remember correctly, it also had OLE on its core... One thing is certain: OLE doesn't scale.